This Consultant led INAB accredited (ISO 15189:2012) laboratory offers a comprehensive range of diagnostic services in routine Bacteriology, Mycobacteriology, Mycology, Parasitology, Serology and Virology, as well as the provision of statistical and cumulative data for infectious disease monitoring. In addition the medical team provide consultation on all aspects of clinical microbiology including the diagnosis and management of infections, infection prevention and control, and antimicrobial stewardship.
Tests offered include:
- Routine Bacteriology: Examination of Urine, Sputum, Blood, CSF, Faeces and Swabs etc.
- Serological Testing: Investigation for Hepatitis, HIV and antenatal screen, Syphilis, Leptospirosis and Legionellosis etc.
- Molecular Testing: Including Enteric Pathogens, Chlamydia trachomatis/Neisseria Gonorrhoea and Respiratory pathogens including SARS CoV2 and Influenza virus
- Parasitology: Includes the investigation of faeces samples for intestinal parasitic infections.
- Mycology: Examination of samples such as skin scrapings for the presence of pathogenic fungi.
- TB Laboratory: Investigation of samples for Mycobacterium spp.
The laboratory is a Health Service Executive (HSE) South installation with links to Medical and Science Faculties at UCC. It also has strong educational links with the MTU Biological Sciences Department. As well as the diagnostic service provided, the laboratory is also involved in teaching both medical science and biomedical science students and is involved in collaborative research work with clinical colleagues. The department is accredited by the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland for specialist training in Medical Microbiology.