Postgraduate Medical Education
The Postgraduate Medical Education Service at Cork University Hospital (CUH) was established in April 2001 by the Executive Management Board, in recognition of the importance of education at CUH. It is responsible for overseeing the educational and administrative aspects of Postgraduate Medical Education programmes at CUH.
The mission of the Postgraduate Medical Education Service is to provide training to the highest international standards for physicians and other healthcare professionals so as to improve medical care for our patients and their communities.
The main activities of the service include:
- UCC Grand Rounds @ CUH: Held each Wednesday at lunchtime. Rounds are chaired by a member of UCC Department of Medicine. Topics focus on medical and scientific advances with options to deliver illustrative clinical cases and/or local research activities. They are interspersed with service delivery presentations to mark key milestones in the history of a department and/or to highlight a recent advance in a service and its impact on clinical care. Audiences attend in person and also join remotely via livestream.
- Intern Teaching Programme: A weekly teaching programme which runs all year long and is designed to develop the clinical, professional and personal skills of Interns. Interns based in general practice sites and those in Bantry General Hospital join via live link-in.
- BST in GIM: Weekly teaching for Senior House Officers undertaking Basic Specialist Training (BST) in General Internal Medicine (GIM).
- MRCPI Tutorials: MRCPI Bedside Tutorials take place 3 times a year for trainees undertaking Membership clinical exams.
- Journal Clubs and Multidisciplinary Meetings: Each clinical discipline holds regular team meetings to discuss clinical findings and promote practice-based learning.
For information on the many other activities of the Postgraduate Medical Education Service:
Please contact: Administrator, Postgraduate Medical Education Service, Administration Block, Cork University Hospital. Tel: 00353 (0)21 492 2024.
For the information of overseas visitors to this site:
- If you are a Medical undergraduate looking for an elective attachment please contact:
School of Medicine, University College Cork, Brookfield Health Sciences Complex, College Road, Cork.
Email: email@example.com / Tel: +353 (0)21 490 1575
- If you are looking for paid employment as a doctor please contact:
Medical Manpower Department, Administration Block, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork.
- If you have a query about nursing opportunities please contact:
Director of Nursing, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork.