The Postgraduate Medical Education Service at Cork University Hospital was established in April 2001 by the Executive Management Board, in recognition of the importance of education at CUH. It is responsible for overseeing the educational and administrative aspects of Postgraduate Medical Education programs at Cork University Hospital.
The mission of the Postgraduate Medical Education Service is to provide training to the highest international standards for physicians and other healthcare professionals so as to improve medical care for our patients and their communities.
The first Director of Postgraduate Medical Education was Dr Chris Luke (2001-2007), followed by Dr Michael Clarkson (2007-2010).
Dr. Mike O’Connor is the current Director of Postgraduate Medical Education (2010-date) and Dr. Íomhar O’Sullivan is the Intern Tutor (2007-date)
The major activities of the service include:
- UCC Medical Grand Rounds. (lectures are videoconferenced to Mallow, Kerry, Bantry and South Tipperary General Hospitals, as well as Marymount University Hospital and Hospice, Mercy University Hospital, etc). Link in from other hospitals/individuals welcome.
- Twice-yearly Induction Courses for Interns.
- Weekly Intern Teaching Programme.
- Intern Case Presentations.
- Intern Assessment.
- Interns’ Grand Round incorporating the “Intern of the Year” and Medical SHO Presentation of the Year.
- Weekly NCHD Teaching Programme.
- BST Annual Reviews.
- RCPI Masterclass Series.
- NCHD Survival Guide, available online at www.nchd.ie
- General Practice Education/Study Evenings at CUH.
- Internal Medicine Journal Club.
- Curriculum vitae and presentation skills workshops.
- Furthering the development of a 1000m2 Cork University Hospital Education & Training Centre.
For the information of overseas visitors to this site
- If you are a medical undergraduate looking for an elective attachment please apply to:
The Medical School, University College, Cork:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 00353 (0)21 490 1575.
- If you are looking for paid employment please address your enquiries to:
The Medical Manpower Dept., Former Nurses Home, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork.
Email email@example.com Tel: 00353 (0)21-4921383
Visit www.cuh.hse.ie/Careers/Contact-Us/Medical-Manpower/ for further information.
- If you have a query about nursing opportunities please address your enquiries to:
Director of Nursing, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 00353 (0)21 492 2116
Visit www.cuh.hse.ie/Careers/Your-Nursing-Career/ for further information.
Ms. Terri Goulding, Administrator,
Postgraduate Medical Education Service, Former Nurses Home, Cork University Hospital.
Tel: 00353 (0)21 492 2024 Fax: 00353 (0)21 492 1388.