Stomatherapy is the care of patients who have had their bowel or bladder diverted surgically on to their abdomen, and are required to wear a stoma pouch (a bag) over this opening.
The Stomatherapy Department provides pre-operative education and siting, post-operative care and long-term follow-up of patients with a stoma. The Department provides support to all age groups covering counties, Cork, Kerry, South Tipperary and Clare. The Stomatherapy nurses work as part of a multidisciplinary team including disciplines such as Colorectal, Gastroenterology and General Surgical.
- Pre Operative & post operative education and siting.
- Post operative follow up care through Nurse led clinics
- Counselling and support to patients and relatives.
- Skin care advice.
- Diet lifestyle and travel advice
- Support garment fitting
- Advise on fistula management
- Training of carers and all staff who are involved in stoma care.
- Consultant In-Patient referral.
- A GP referral is also accepted for patients who have had their surgery in CUH, but may not have been reviewed in a number of years.