Welcome to the Department of Respiratory Medicine at Cork University Hospital. We are a rapidly expanding department with expertise in the treatment of all respiratory disorders common in the region. We provide a full range of specialist treatments for patients with respiratory disease and have a dedicated team based within the hospital with services also provided in Mallow General Hospital. We work in conjunction with our colleagues in the Department of Respiratory Medicine at the Mercy University Hospital, Cork.
The Department strives to improve outcomes for patients with respiratory disease in the region through a dedicated, available and approachable team who see patient comfort and satisfaction a chief priority. We also strive to develop our academic interests and make the Division a national and international leader in Respiratory Medicine.
The Department of Respiratory Medicine is based at Cork University Hospital. We also provide a bronchoscopy service at Mallow General Hospital and participate in a Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at St Finbarr’s Hospital. The department is composed of four consultant physicians, two pulmonary function technicians, five full or part time nurse specialists and many rotating non-consultant hospital physicians.
About the Department of Respiratory Medicine
The Department provides a full range of respiratory treatments for patients with lung disease. This includes dedicated clinics for patients with cystic fibrosis (including patients post Lung transplant), patients with interstitial lung disease (lung fibrosis and sarcoidosis); pulmonary vascular disorders; patients requiring long-term non-invasive ventilation for neuromuscular disease; patients with difficult to control asthma; patients with bronchiectesis and a rapid access clinic for patients with suspected lung cancer. Visit http://www.irishthoracicsociety.com/ for further information.
- General Respiratory Medicine clinics: Dr. Michael. Henry, Dr. Marcus. Kennedy, Dr. Des. Murphy and Professor Barry. Plant - all provide general respiratory referral services and support.
- Rapid Access Lung Cancer Clinic – Dr Michael Henry and Dr Marcus Kennedy
- COPD including community pulmonary rehabilitation – Dr Michael. Henry and Dr Des Murphy are Clinical Leads but all four services support COPD assessment and management.
- Diagnostic Bronchoscopy- Dr Michael Henry, Dr Marcus Kennedy, Dr Des Murphy and Professor B. Plant all provide weekly bronchoscopy support to CUH.
- Adult Cystic Fibrosis (pre and post lung transplantation) – Professor Barry Plant
- Interstitial lung disease including patients with pulmonary complications of connective disease and pulmonary manifestations of vasculitis. Dr Michael Henry and Dr Sinead Harney, Dept of Rheumatology for CTD patients
- Difficult Asthma Clinic – Dr Des Murphy
- Interventional Bronchoscopy - Dr Marcus Kennedy and Dr Michael Henry
- Pulmonary Vascular clinic - Dr Des Murphy
- Motor Neuron Disease Clinic - Dr Des Murphy attends Dr Aisling Ryan’s monthly Motor Neuron Disease clinic for patients with neuromuscular respiratory failure.
- Non Cystic Fibrosis Bronchiectasis Patients – Dr Marcus Kennedy and Professor Barry Plant
- Assisted Ventilation Service – all consultants.
This webpage is designed to give you an insight into the care that we provide. Please use the navigation links on your left to find out more about us.
The Department endorses the initiative of making Cork University Hospital a smoke free campus. Professor Barry Plant from our department is the clinical lead for a smoke free campus at CUH.