We offer a diagnostic, analytical and interpretative service for a large range of analytes in body fluids. Clinical Biochemistry deals with the biochemical basis of disease and the use of biochemical tests for its diagnosis, prognosis, screening and management. The Laboratory provides a reliable analytical service and advice on the management of patients with metabolic disturbances.
The tests include:
- Routine Clinical Biochemistry e.g. liver, renal, cardiac, bone, glucose...
- Lipids, e.g. cholesterol, triglycerides, lipoproteins.
- Endocrinology, e.g. thyroid function, infertility testing, pituitary disorders...
- Specific proteins, e.g. immunoglobulins, allergies, acute phase proteins...
- Therapeutic drugs,
- Cardiac markers,
- DNA / Molecular Diagnostics.
As well as routine diagnostic work, the Department is actively involved in teaching students of medical science, science, and medicine. The Department has research and teaching links with the departments of Medicine and Pathology of UCC and with Cork Institute of Technology's Biological Sciences Department. It is also involved in collaborative research with clinical colleagues, international collaborators in the EU IST framework and postgraduate research is also carried out.
The Royal College of Pathologists recognises the department for higher specialist training in Clinical Biochemistry.