National Healthlink Project
The National Healthlink Project was established to enable GPs to submit electronic referrals to acute hospital public outpatient clinics for New patient appointments. The electronic referral form allows GPs to provide more relevant information, enabling the consultant to make a more informed decision. This system helps reduce processing times.
The on-line electronic referral form is for New patient appointments only and is not to be used for general correspondence to Consultants.
GPs – If you need to send any correspondence to the Consultant outside of requests for New patient appointments please address these to the relevant Consultant’s secretary.
The referrals are submitted via the secure Healthlink Online website. GPs who are registered with The National Healthlink Project have access to the forms. Those not yet registered can contact Healthlink on 01 8825606 or email@example.com
Specialities Accepting Electronic Referrals
Electronic referrals can be submitted by GPs for the following specialties:
Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Geriatric Medicine, Gynaecology
Maxillo-Facial, Nephrology, Neurology, Neurosurgery
Paediatric Endocrine, Paediatric Medicine, Paediatric Neurology, Paediatric Respiratory
Plastic Surgery, Renal (Submitted under Nephrology) ,Respiratory, Rheumatology
When Submitting A Referral
To help us deal efficiently with your referral please complete the HIQA OPDReferral Form ensuring the following information is completed:
- Specialty Required
- Clinical Priority
- Date of Referral
- Full GP & practice details or External Consultant name & External Agency
- Complete patient demographic data including correct name spelling, address, gender and date of birth, patients maiden name if applicable
- Patient's contact telephone numbers etc (these are important in instances when we may be able to offer a patient an earlier or cancelled appointment)or to send a text reminder.
- Reason for Referral
- All relevant clinical information
- Information on any relevant pathology or X-ray tests carried out
Referral Letters & Forms
This referral letter should be addressed by post to:
Central Appointments Office
Cork University Hospital
or alternatively Fax: 021 4234560
National Cancer Programme Referral Forms & Guidelines