Cork University Hospital is a National Neuroscience Centre providing a tertiary referral service for Neurology, Neurosurgery and allied Neuroscience disciplines.
CUH Neurology department provides an in-patient and out-patient service for patients with neurological conditions.
- The CUH Neurology Department is one of two centres in Ireland that provides an acute on-call neurology service to the Emergency Department 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
- We participate in a stroke-thrombolysis rota, including providing intra-arterial stroke interventions in selected cases with the support of our Neuro-radiology colleagues.
- We run a busy elective admission service for the investigation, diagnosis and management of neurological conditions
- We provide acute management and rehabilitation of stroke and other neurological disorders on our dedicated 25-bed acute neurology and stroke ward on Ward 3A. Inpatient stay is supported by our dedicated multidisciplinary rehabilitation team (see affiliated services below).
- We provide a dedicated Epilepsy Monitoring Unit in-patient service for selected patients
- We have a dedicated infusion suite for the administration of intravenous medications such as IVIg, Steroids, Natalizumab (Tysabri) etc.
- In many cases, investigations such as lumbar puncture, muscle biopsy, EEG etc. are performed as a day case.
- We provide 4-5 neurology clinics per day (morning, and afternoon/evening).
- Each consultant runs a Rapid Access Neurology/General Neurology and Sub-speciality Neurology clinic
- Dr Costello and the Community Epilepsy Fellow provide an out-reach community epilepsy clinic.
Out-patient specialist clinics include:
- The Rapid Access Seizure Clinic (RASC)
- Neuromuscular disorders Clinic
- Movement Disorders Clinic
- Young/Complex Stroke clinic
- Rapid Access Stroke Prevention (RASP) TIA clinic
- Neuro-inflammatory (including Multiple Sclerosis) Clinic
- Motor Neuron Disease clinic
- The Migraine clinic is run by Dr. Eddie O’Sullivan and is a multi-disciplinary service including a medical team, nurse specialist and senior occupational therapist. The clinic was awarded a special merit award at the HSE Health Innovation Awards in 2006.
- The Dystonia/Botulinum Toxin clinic is held monthly by Dr. Helena Moore
- Neurology Nurse Specialists. Ethna Mitten (General Neurology, Headache and Multiple Sclerosis), Eileen O’Mahony (General Neurology and Multiple Sclerosis), Glen Arrigan (Stroke), Delphine Goulding and Sandra Moloney (Epilepsy)
- Neuro-rehabilitation – Dr John MacFarlane is the Consultant Rehabilitation Specialist working in CUH and the Mercy University Hospitals and the National Rehabilitation Hospital Dún Laoghaire.
- Neurophysiology – Dr Brian McNamara, Consultant Neurophysiologist leads a team of neurophysiologists in CUH
- Neurosurgery –Mr George Kaar, Mr Chris Lim, Mr Michael O’Sullivan
- Neuroradiology – Dr Noel Fanning and Dr. Gerry Wyse
- Neuropsychiatry – Dr. Eugene Cassidy and Dr James Kinahan
- Neuropathology – Dr. N. Bermingham & Dr. M Janssen
- Neuro-otology – Mr. Peter O’Sullivan
- Paediatric neurology + Transition clinics. Dr. Olivia O’Mahony and Dr. Niamh McSweeney
- Neurology and Rehabilitation Multidisciplinary team – including Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists and Social Workers.