Areas of Service Delivery
- Inpatient medical and surgical consultation of all with mental health needs;
- Outpatients with complex medical and mental health morbidity
Emergency Department Liaison (including Self-Harm):
- Assessment and short-term management of all self-harm and other mental health presentations in the ED;
- Short-term follow-up service for selected self-harm (ie signposting, bridging and problem-solving)
Alcohol & Drug Liaison:
- Assessment and brief intervention in the ED and inpatient wards
- Assessment and outpatient follow-up of certain high-risk outpatients (eg Hepatology patients)
- Assessment and short-term management of distress and mental disorders in cancer patients who are undergoing active treatment at CUH as in-patients or day-patients.
Obstetric / Perinatal Liaison:
- Assessment and short-term management of Maternity Hospital in-patients with emergency mental health needs and/or major mental illness.
- Clinical care for adults experiencing complex psychological and emotional problems arising from physical illness or somatic concerns (ie adjustment to chronic or life-threatening illness, body image concerns, post-traumatic stress, somatisation).
Old Age Liaison
- Inpatient medical and surgical consultation of all >65 years with significant mental health needs;
Interventions Offered By Team Members
These are evidence based and in line with good practice. They include:
- Assessment and recommendations for patient/client care within the acute hospital setting and outpatient clinics.
- Signposting to a specific set of mental health resources
- Brief psychological interventions (problem-solving; solution focussed, cognitive-behavioural).
- Psychotherapeutic interventions where appropriate e.g. individual or group psychotherapy,
- Psychopharmacological interventions e.g. medication prescribed by medical staff on the team.
- Service interventions e.g. admission/transfer to a psychiatric ward specialist unit; referral to specialist/voluntary agencies
- Audit and research.
- Teaching and training including placements offered to various professional training schemes.
- Contribution to policies and guidelines within CUH to ensure best practice prevails.