This Consultant led INAB accredited (ISO 15189:2012) laboratory offers a comprehensive range of diagnostic services in routine Bacteriology, Mycobacteriology, Mycology, Parasitology, Serology and Virology as well as consultation in microbiology, infectious diseases and antibiotic utilisation and provision of statistical and cumulative data for infectious disease monitoring.
Tests offered include:
- Routine Bacteriology: Examination of Urine, Sputum, Blood, CSF, Faeces and Swabs etc.
- Serological Testing: Investigation for Hepatitis, HIV and antenatal screen, Syphilis, Leptospirosis and Legionellosis etc.
- Molecular Testing: Including Enteric Pathogens and Chlamydia trachomatis
- Parasitology: Includes the investigation of faeces samples for evidence of infestation.
- Mycology: Examination of samples such as skin scrapings for the presence of pathogenic fungi.
- TB Laboratory: The investigation of samples for Mycobacterium spp.
The laboratory is a Health Service Executive (HSE) South installation with links to Medical and Science Faculties at UCC. It also has strong educational links with the CIT Biological Sciences Department. As well as the diagnostic service provided, the laboratory is also involved in teaching both medical science and biomedical science students and is involved in collaborative research work with clinical colleagues. The laboratory is accredited by the Royal College of Pathologists for specialist training in Medical Microbiology.