Patients admitted to CUH under the care of the Cardiologists or Cardiac Surgeons with the following diagnosis will be will be assessed by the Cardiac Rehabilitation Nurses.
After Coronary Artery Stenting.
After Heart Surgery (Bypass +/- Valve).
Relevant referrals may be sent to the multi-disciplinary team which includes the:
Our “Take Heart” Booklet is also given to these patients, and the following topics discussed:
- Explanation of the cardiac event
- Identification of risk factors
- Advice and information on diet, exercise and medication
- Pain and symptom management
- Energy conservation and gradual return to activities of daily living
- Psychological support during recovery
- Stress management and relaxation techniques
- Smoking cessation
Following discharge patients who do not have a cardiologist based in CUH are referred back to the hospital where their own cardiologist is based. This is for follow up which includes all other phases of Cardiac Rehabilitation.
Pre-operative Heart Surgery Clinic
Prior to heart surgery the majority of patients attend a pre-operative clinic.
At this clinic, the following routine tests are performed:
Group and Cross match.
As part of this clinic patients receive information from the Cardiac Rehabilitation Nurses.
Their operation, hospital stay and recovery is discussed and any questions answered.