CUH has its own human resources function, which operates as the only external HR function in the HSE- South outside of Central HR in the Farm Centre. The HR Department in CUH works in conjunction with HSE South’s Corporate HR, which encompasses Recruitment, Employee Relations, Performance & Development, Occupational Health and EAP.
The Medical Manpower Department is responsible for recruitment of Non Consultant Hospital Doctors for the hospital group, Kerry General Hospital and Bantry General Hospital together with temporary and locum consultants. The department is also involved in the planning and processing of permanent consultant appointments up to the stage of advertising. The period 2006 / 2007 saw 18 permanent consultant commencements within the group.
The HR Department in CUH supports the delivery of effective HR services and policies in relation to management of WTE’s, recruitment, training, employee relations and industrial relations.
Highlights in 2006/2007 included:
- The opening of the Modular Renal Dialysis Unit
- The Commissioning of Cork University Maternity Hospital and the transfer of maternity services to CUH.
- CUH continues to participate in the Team Based Performance Management initiative.
- A policy on the management of Attendance/ Absence was developed by a joint HR/ Partnership Group. Training was rolled out to Line managers to support them in the management of attendance.
- A review of the role of the medical secretary and the streamlining of secretarial services. While the Medical Secretaries in CUH participated in the pilot programme for Medical Secretaries